Surviving Steam Locomotives of Oregon

A branch of Mallets in the Tall Timber

Updated: June 10, 2003

    This page will consist of photographs and information on some of the various steam locomotives in Oregon that I have seen.  There are many others that I have yet to photograph, but more will hopefully added after the next time I'm down in Oregon. 

Email Jon Davis:

For a complete list of Oregon steam locomotives, check the Oregon section of Wes Barris' Steam Locomotive dot Com

Locomotives are listed alphabetically by location:


2-8-2 Santa Maria Valley #21 is currently being restored by Astoria Railroad Preservation Association Inc.  Built in 1925, this Mikado was operated by the Santa Maria Valley at Santa Maria, CA until it was retired in the 1960s.  It was then sold to D.B. Morgan at San Rafael, CA, and later to the Puget Sound Railway Historical Association of Snoqualmie, WA in 1978.  The locomotive was stored in pieces at Snoqualmie until being sold to ARPA and moved to Astoria in the early 1990s.  


Cascade Locks

The "Oregon Pony," built in 1861 by the Vulcan Iron Works, is displayed in a small building at Marine Park.  Originally built for the Oregon Portage Railway at Bonneville, OR, it was later sold in 1863 to the Cascades Railroad Co of Cascades, WA.  Later owned by David Hewes of San Francisco, it was donated to the State of Oregon in 1904 and placed on display at Cascade Locks in 1970.



This little 1884 Baldwin 0-4-0t is on display at the Collier State Park logging museum.  Nicknamed "GOP" ("get out and push"), it was built for the California Redwood Co as their #1.  Its last owner was the Mt. Shasta Pine & Manufacturing Co.  



Georgia Pacific's 2-8-2 #5 is located in Avery park in Corvalis.  Built by Baldwin in 1922 as #5 of the Brooks-Scanlon Lumber Co. of Bend, OR, it went to Georgia Pacific in 1956 before being donated to Corvalis in 1960.  Generally, #5 appears to be in very good cosmetic condition.  The extra handrails along the running boards were additions made during #5's conversion to park engine status.



This 48-inch driver Baldwin logging Mikado was built in 1926 for the Polson Logging Company of Hoquiam, WA as their #90.  #90 continued to operate out of Railroad Camp after Polson became Rayonier Incorporated in 1945 and was retired in the early 1960s.  #90 was then sold to the Oregon Memorial Steam Train Association in 1963 and moved to Lumberman's Park in Garibaldi for display.  A local group is considering restoring #90, and an optimistic sign claiming a summer 2000 completion date was hanging on the tender when I took this picture in April 1999.



This small 0-4-0t was built by ALCO for the Marble Cliff Quarries Co as #23 at Marble Cliff, OH.  Later, it was renumbered to #12, and sold in the 1960s to Donald Davis of Poneto, IN.  In 1983, Al Foglio of Milwaukie, Oregon purchased the locomotive.  Then in 1996 Mark Acuff purchased the locomotive from Foglio's estate and moved it to Hillsboro, Oregon.  Since the time of this photo, the locomotive has been moved into a shop bay so it can be worked on year-round.



This 2-6-2, Santa Maria Valley #205 is privately owned by George Lavacot, and is presently under restoration inside a building in Independence.  This Prairie was built in 1924 for the San Joaquin & Eastern of Auberry, CA.  In 1933 it was sold to the Santa Maria Valley Railroad, and was put on display in a park at Santa Maria, CA in 1950.  Mr. Lavacot purchased the locomotive in 1983.  Also inside this building is the tender from 2-6-6-2 Rayonier #14.


Junction City

This interesting 2-8-0, #418, was built in 1904 and came from Finland in 1960 as a gift to the city of Portland.  It was displayed at Oaks Park in Portland with SP 4449, SP&S 700, and UP 3203 for a number of years before going to Junction City.  Presently it is under cover and appears to be in good condition.


Klamath Falls

Southern Pacific 2-8-0 #2579,a class C-9 Consolidation built in 1906 by Baldwin, is located in Veteran's Memorial Park.  Displayed in the park since 1957, #2579 appears to be in good cosmetic condition.

This photograph was taken in June of 1999 a few miles south of Klamath Falls.  This is the tender from 2-6-2 Long-Bell #105 and the third truck from Pickering Lumber Company 3-truck Shay #8.  Both locomotives are part of Fred Kepner's collection.  The locomotive portion of #105 is now in Merril, Oregon, and the rest of Pickering #8 is in Cottage Grove.  



This interesting 0-4-0t was built in 1900 by Vulcan and is displayed near the intersection of McAndrews & Summit in Medford.  It was last operated by the Michigan-California Logging Company of Camino, CA as their #11 and was displayed at their mill for a number of years before coming to Oregon.  It appears to be in good condition.

This 3-Truck Willamette, Medco #4, is located at Medford's Railroad Park.  Currently, #4 is undergoing restoration by the Southern Oregon Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society.  It was built in 1925, for the Owen-Oregon Lumber Co at Medford before going to the Medford Corp. in 1932.  It was retired and placed on display in 1959. 



Stimson Timber Company #1 is displayed at the World Forestry Center near the Portland Zoo.  Built in 1909 for the Gig Harbor Timber Co. at Gig Harbor, WA, this 2-truck Shay went to the Stimson Timber Co. at Belfair, WA in 1913, and later to the Stimson Lumber Co. at Forest Grove, OR.  It was donated to the City of Portland in 1955. 

Portland's Brooklyn Roundhouse is home of two popular Northwest mainline locomotives, Southern Pacific #4449 and Spokane, Portland & Seattle #700, both 4-8-4s.  The history and information of these locomotives are covered at their respective web sites.  Also at Brooklyn undergoing restoration is Union Pacific 4-6-2 #3203.



Three-truck Shay Mt. Emily Lumber Company #1 is presently operated by the City of Prineville Railway.  Built in 1923 for the locomotive dealer Hofius Steel & Equipment Co. of Seattle, WA, the locomotive then went to the Independence Logging Company at Independence, WA.  Later sold to the Mount Emily Lumber Company of La Grande, OR it was retired in the mid 1950s and donated to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in 1957.  OMSI then donated the locomotive to the Oregon Historical Society in 1958, who kept it in storage in a railway yard at Portland until 1970 when it was leased to the Cass Scenic Railroad.  It was then moved to West Virginia and operated as Cass #3 until the early 1990s when it returned to Oregon.  (Photo taken at Railfair 99 in Sacramento, CA.)



This SP 0-6-0 is displayed in Stewart Park.  Built by Lima in 1914, #1229 was donated to Roseburg in 1958.  



Weyerhaeuser Timber Company #100 is an ALCO/COOKE Prairie built in 1921 for the City of San Francisco (Hetch Hetchy Railroad) at Groveland, CA as #5.  In 1937, Weyerhaeuser purchased the locomotive for their operations at Vail, WA, and renumbered it to #100.  In 1948, #100 went south to Weyerhaeuser's operation at Sutherlin, OR, and then in 1961 to Springfield, OR.  In 1962, Weyerhaeuser donated #100 to the City of Sutherlin for display.  #100 was recently painted and a shelter built over the locomotive to protect it from the elements. 



This Baldwin 2-8-2 of 1922 was built for the Manary Logging Co. as #1 and spent its entire working life in and around Toledo.  It was later sold to the C.D. Johnson Lumber Corp, and later to Georgia-Pacific in 1953.  Retired in 1960, #1 was placed on display in Toledo.  In 1982, Toledo donated #1 to the Western Forest Industries Museum (Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad), but it was never moved from Toledo and ownership was later returned to the city.  Today, the locomotive is owned by the Yaquina Pacific Railroad Historical Society of Toledo, who are currently in the process of restoring the locomotive.



2-truck Shay Long-Bell #102 is seen here being reassembled in April of 1999 after an aborted restoration attempt.  The restoration effort ceased when it was found that the needed boiler repairs were beyond the scope of the group's resources.  Built in 1912 for the Western Cooperage Co as #2 at Olney, OR, it was later sold to the Astoria Southern Railway of Astoria.  In 1922 the Porter Carstens Logging Co of Estacada, OR purchased the locomotive and then sold it to the Clark County Timber Co of Yacolt, WA.  In 1928, the Shay went to Oregon-American at Vernonia as #102.  Oregon-American became part of the Long-Bell Lumber Co in 1953, who then merged in 1956 with the International Paper Co.  Retired in 1958, #102 was donated to Vernonia and placed on display.  



This immaculately maintained SP 2-6-0, #1785, is presently displayed in downtown Woodburn.  It was built in 1902 by Baldwin.


Back to: Mallets in the Tall Timber