Mud Bay Logging Company #8

Specifications

Wheel Arrangement: 2-6-6-2

Tank or tender type: Rectangular tender

Build date: April 1928

Serial number: 60412

Driver diameter: 44 in.

Boiler pressure: 200 psi

Cylinder dimensions: 18 & 28x24 in

Grate area: 32 sq ft

Tractive effort:  43,000 lbs

Weight:  210,000 lbs

Fuel: 1,500 gal oil

Water capacity: 5,000 gal

Service History:

1928-1940:  Mud Bay Logging Company #8.  Mud Bay, WA.

1940-1960:  Weyerhaeuser Timber Co #6.  Klamath Falls, OR.

Disposition after logging service:

1960-1965:  Static display.  Klamath Falls, OR.

1965-present:  Puget Sound Railway Historical Association (Northwest Railway Museum), Snoqualmie, WA.  (operational from 1969-1974)

Notes:

Painted "Black, no striping" when built.  -Jim Wilke notes from Baldwin records.

Unknown date Larger sand box added to pilot deck.

Unknown date Oil capacity of tender increased.

Unknown date Second air pump added to fireman's side.

Summary:

This logging Mallet, one of only three standard 44" driver logging Mallets built with a tender, was built by Baldwin in 1928 for Mud Bay Logging as #8.  Number 8 worked for Mud Bay near Olympia, WA until 1941 when it was sold to the Weyerhaeuser Timber Company.  They put the Mallet to work as #6 on their Klamath Falls, Oregon line until 1960, by which time #6 was the last steam locomotive in use by Weyerhaeuser.  After retirement, Number 6 was repainted and placed on display near Weyerhaeuser's Klamath Falls headquarters.  #6 remained on display until 1965 when Weyerhaeuser donated it to the Puget Sound Railway Historical Association at Snoqualmie, WA.  In 1966, #6 was moved from Klamath Falls to Auburn and then finally to Snoqualmie where it was put on display.  In March of 1969, the decision was made to return #6 to service and #6 was back in steam by May of that year.  #6 served the PSRHA pulling tourist trains up until the arrival of United States Plywood #11 in 1974.  After 11's arrival, at least one Mallet doubleheader was held before #6 left service for work on the rear tube sheet.  This rebuild, however, was never completed and #6 sat partially dismantled in the PSRHA's Niblock Yard until 1991.  Today #6 is still in storage with a possible return to service planned for the future.

Pictures:

Drawing:  Weyerhaeuser 6 - 1950s

Drawing: Weyerhaeuser 6 1974  

Photo:  Mud Bay Logging Co. #8 near Olympia in 1938 - Martin E. Hansen Collection

Photo:  Mud Bay Logging Co. #8 at Mud Bay in 1938 - Martin E. Hansen Collection

Photo:  Weyerhaeuser #6 at Snoqualmie in 1968 - Steve Thompson Collection

Photo:  Weyerhaeuser #6 under steam at Snoqualmie in 1969 - Steve Thompson Collection

Photo:  Weyerhaeuser #6 under steam at Snoqualmie - Steve Thompson Collection

Photo:  Weyerhaeuser #6 under steam at Snoqualmie in 1970 - Steve Thompson Collection

Photo:  Weyerhaeuser 6 in November 1998  

Photo:  Fireman's side of #6 - 2000

Photo:  Another view of #6 - 2000

Photo:  #6s tender - 2000 

 

-Back to main list